Sunday, January 11, 2009

Music Drought.

Although New Years resolutions never seem to quite pan out for me, I do have one thing on my list besides the ever so typical “I want to lose 10 pounds” “I only want to drink one night a week” etc, etc. that NEEDS to be satisfied. This is the art of finding new music.

I grew up a confused child listening to whatever was blasting into my room through the wall that divided mine to my brothers. This typically included everyone’s favourites at the impressionable age of 10 (note my sarcasm)… Nirvana, NOFX, Rancid, Satanic Surfers, Green Day, Bad Religion, all the really good 90’s punk and alt rock. The confused part came when I went to school and all of my friends were listening to Spice Girls and the Backstreet boys. A ten year old girl in the mid 90s, obviously I was going to plaster my walls with images of the way too sexy (but totally all for girl power and not subjecting their bodies in any way) Spice Girls.

What does this have to do with my New Years resolution? Well, growing up with such an odd range of music tastes, I’d like to keep that going into 2009. I want to look into finding new and exciting artists and genres of music. The hard part for me is figuring out where to look. I tend to look in the “interests” section on friends facebook profiles, Now Magazine, Eye Weekly, and a couple other places, but this is not good enough. I have some serious searching to do. Since I would really like this to actually happen, I’m thinking of NOT calling it a “New Years Resolution”… maybe just a long-term goal?

Here’s something (not new but soooo good) that I have recently re-discovered (which totally counts in my books) I can’t tell if I like the original ‘Psychedelic Furs’ version of ‘The Ghost in You” or the Counting Crows version (which is the one I originally fell in love with thanks to the classic Clueless soundtrack, but anyways, this video is awesome… I should have been in my 20s in the 80s. Enjoy. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment